Thursday, January 13, 2011

January Winds do Blow

Well with a month to go before Ava turns 2, I sit and reflect on our crazy lives. I listen to the wind blow and try not to notice the keys that Ava popped off my laptop.

We have a very close friend we met in Willow Creek who has been battling cancer and has just found out that cancer is most likely going to win this battle. Today Dan called once to talk to him and he was at the homeopathic doctor then he was going to the dentist. Tonight Dan called back, and he was at the Ridge working out as he just hadn' t done much today. May I find his vigor and enthusiasm in my life. My heart breaks that we are going to loose him, and yet I once again rejoice that I have known him. We are blest to be able to hear him play the piano tomorrow night and then attend a concert with him and his wife afterwards. Thank you, Lord, for bringing our lives together with Glen and Shirley. We are rich.

Ava loves her kitchen that Dan and I made her for Christmas. My aunt made her a little mini apron to add to it. Grandma and Grandpa gave her some wooden food and Aunt Beth and Uncle Jason gave her some accessories. So cooking is going well at our house. She loves to read, sing and dance. She has just learned "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" I sang both for an hour on the way home tonight. It's funny how repetition to them just doesn't seem like too much. She is still busy from sun up to sun down. She has learned the art of stalling bed time. We've started having a play date with Claire and Ella and Amber once a week which has been great to help burn off energy. She talks about it all week. She has a bit of drama and is sweet as the day is long (well sometimes.) She also has a bit of a firey streak in her and knows what she wants and when she wants it.

Dan has started his new job. He is working with same counseling program but in Bozeman, 45 min. from Ennis. He works at Bozeman High School and Alternative School which has 1800 students. It brings with it a pleasant environment as well as new challenges. His first day on the job he was called in to help convert the alternative school to a standards based program as we taught in one in Alaska. He is also taking a graduate course about teaching with a standards based curriculum. Needless to say he's happy and having fun with the new challenges.

The Madison River is gorged to the extreme this year which means no fishing for Dan for quite a while. This also means I better be creative or he may be begging for another trip to Florida to fill the void. If you see me along the river with my blow dryer, I'm simply trying to melt the entire river so that my husband can move beyond withdrawls.

I am starting a part-time job at a Montessori school tomorrow. I will be in with 19-20 2-year-olds. I checked my list of things to do in my lifetime; teach 20 2 year-olds was somehow left off of that. Thank you, Lord, for knowing my life dreams before I do. I have enjoyed getting some sewing done - projects completed include a hat for Ava, a couple of table runners and some hot pads for Ava's kitchen. Not teaching has added a little financial stress to our lives but has given me the time to get my feet under me again. I smile more, laugh often and have been so blessed to watch Ava grow and develop. Dan gets an unburnt meal now and again, and we all just seem more settled. I started a challenge about a month and a half ago to fold 1,000 paper cranes for peace. I have folded 12 so far. 9 went into a mobile that I made my aunt for Christmas, one went to my cousin and 2 to my uncle and Diane. I am choosing people who I think may need healing/peace of some sort or who have helped in my healing and peace. Folding cranes is one of the only activities I find that makes everything else truly disappear.

We are a fortunate family and so happy that you all are checking in on us. We look forward to what 2011 will share with us. Hopefully this weekend I can get some updated photos posted to share.

Love,

All the Schrocks in this Household

2 comments:

  1. Great update Dusty. I would love to see pictures of your sewing projects and the river! Grandma said it is an amazing sight. Love to everyone up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are teaching again! You are such a natural! Those little 2 year olds will LOVE Ms. Dusty!!
    Ava surely is turning into a beautiful little girl! I'll bet she has Dan wrapped around her little finger! I'm glad Dan is back working with kids....he does that so well.

    Know that I think of you both often...and send love.

    Cathe'

    ReplyDelete