Sunday, November 28, 2010

1,000 Paper Cranes for Peace

As many of you know Dan and I have had a fair bit of turmoil in our lives over the last two years. On October 23rd my uncle passed away, and this seemed to be my last straw. I haven't had many tears to cry which is my usual way of dealing with stress and pain. I cry it out and somehow am able to release the pain through my tears, well I just don't seem to have many left. I've found myself angry about many of the situation we've been in and especially that my uncle is gone and that my aunt has to face the pain of this new life.

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about what I could give her for Christmas. I wanted something that wasn't practical and would bring a smile to her face and heart. I thought and thought and thought and then was struck with an idea. Our friends who live in Marquette, Michigan have some mobiles hanging in their house with driftwood and paper cranes. I always admired these and thought of the Japanese story of healing when I saw them. When we were last in Michigan I gathered some driftwood and rocks to make a mobile to hang in our house. They always brought me a sense of peace. Well I haven't ever gotten this accomplished. So I decided to make one for my aunt for her healing.

As the plan started to come together I slowly started feeling a fog lifting from my heart. I will make one thousand paper cranes; however, I have learned that this may be as much for my healing as it is for her healing.

3 cranes down 997 to go with a smile on my face and a lightness that hasn't been in my heart for quite a while.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great idea Dusty. Im sorry for the pain you have all experienced. I hope you can all find peace this holiday season and in the New Year. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. I know the healing that can come from a worth while project and I wish you the best of luck and peace.

    ReplyDelete